Archer button-up: Flat-felled the side-seams and sleeves

I decided to flat-fell the seams of my flannel Archer button-up. Do I recommend doing this? Meh. I doubt that it will have a noticeable impact on the appearance of my shirt, since plaid is kind of busy and it was hard because it forced me to match the plaid again and the flannel was fraying and not exactly solid. But, I wanted to add flat-felling because the pattern suggests adding a line of top-stitching to fake the appearance. Why not just learn to add the actual flat felled seams? I asked.

1. I put my shirt wrong-sides together, staring at the armpit as a matching point and using the plaid to match the rest. I pinned, and sewed at 5/8.

2. I trimmed the seam allowance towards the back of the shirt, i.e. the part with the yoke, to half.

3. I folded the long edge over to the stitching line and pressed.
4. I folded that whole bundle over towards the  back of shirt, or towards raw edge, so I could see the stitching line, and pressed and pinned.

5. I edged-stitched about 1/16 from the fold. This is a tad precarious because you have to bunch the fabric as you work the sleeve to the cuff, but this is the same as in the sew along. On one side, I did top-stitch the body to the armpit, back-stitch, and then stitch from cuff to the pit, but that didn't really make it any easier.



And that's it! Flat-felled side seams on your Archer.
You can do this on other areas of the shirt, but around the sleeves seem like a challenge beyond my ability to flat-fell. You'd have to attach in a different order, easier the sleeve in after the side seams.

Comments

Popular Posts